Monday, June 02, 2008

Money shock

My guy and I did some financial planning this weekend (reallocating a 401k: such an exciting way to spend a Saturday morning!).

This morning, my brain still wrapped in numbers, I plugged some data into the crazy rent vs buy modeling spreadsheet one of the guys at work created and helpfully shared.

And for the very first time, the model shows that it might make sense to buy.

Wait, what?

I have no idea what to do with that. I've been happily using "it makes no financial sense to buy a house!!!" as the unassailable justification for my geographic commitment-phobia. If that's no longer the case, then [gasp] might it actually be time to think about where I want to live?

I dunno if I'm ready for that. Maybe AMT will make all the numbers change again, and I can procrastinate a little longer.

3 comments:

Cartooniste said...

it's catching!

the commitment aspect has been daunting for me in this process. mostly, i'm afraid that no one will come visit.

that is irrational, what with this being a beautiful seaside town and all. but still.

in light of your earlier post, i hereby grant you permission to put off the decision for awhile yet.

Anonymous said...

A week or so ago I read a book wherein the main character mused that "Edwardian era house parties, which seemed to run from Friday afternoon to Monday morning, were still common in that era" [just before WW I].

Really I think I just need them to be common again.

Sigh. There's a place in a town a bit north of me that's got .4 acres!

Cartooniste said...

I fully believe in the weekend house party. We will take it upon ourselves to bring it back.

So much more fun! We even have a rear staircase, perfect for assignations.