Thursday, March 26, 2009

Identity = ?

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about social networks: not the online kind, the which-of-my-friends-have-ever-met kind. A blog is a way of putting communication out in public for others to see, and this blog in particular is pretty anonymous. If you read it, you’re either a very close friend and know who I am or you’re the opposite: a total stranger with no way to track me down.

So what do I do if I write something I want to share with someone who’s an acquaintance? Worse yet, a work acquaintance? What if I want to link it from FaceBook & Twitter & LinkedIn?

I’m certainly not going to link here; that would mean I’ve got no outlet for the things I want to be truly anonymous. So currently, I just don’t write whatever it is. Or I write it but don’t post it, or I write it but send it only to my Mom (thanks for being my outlet, Mom!). This is ... to borrow a high school term I sometimes can’t resist ... lame.

I want to go public. Sort of. I want a single place to post everything I think is worth writing, and then I want to control who sees it.

Believe it or not, though, that is not what this post started off being about....

No comments: