Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Finding peace

Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about peace. I don’t mean peace like the opposite of war; I mean peace like inner calm (if there is such a thing), peace as contentment, like the opposite of a noisy brain.

My conclusion is that it’s weird that there’s no peace-oriented Western tradition to follow. There’s yoga; there’s meditation; but where’s the European tradition I can pick up on? I don’t want to chant things in a foreign language or focus on my third eye or imagine chakras. I want my head to feel a bit clearer, but adding poorly translated Sanskrit phrases to the list of things I think about doesn’t seem like a particularly reasonable way to go about this.

Maybe this is why Catholics say the rosary? Of course, I’m not Catholic either....

And so I sit here, my computer’s screen blank except for this text. Laptop on my lap, I stare into the white-ish glow, legs crossed under me, and I type. I take a sip of water. I backspace a word or two, sculpting paragraphs and sentences into shapes that please me.

And I wonder:

Maybe a Western contemplative tradition is something I could just invent?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

not that I think you'll like my answer, but the Western tradition is television. It calms the nerves, removes all thoughts, you become surrounded with tranquility as the anxiety of the day seeps away. It serves a similar purpose for many people, but it isn't nearly as magical as exploring your inner self. But by all means, invent something better than the drug of the airwaves.

Heather said...

You know...you're right, I don't like it, but I also think you might be onto something. I've got a tradition going on of watching My Name is Earl on DVD, and I gotta say it is a great way to start the evening. Surrounded by tranquility is about right.

But what do I do when the season ends? I don't know that I want to explore my inner self. I just want to calm the hamster-on-a-wheel that my brain is slightly too inclined to become.

If I start a cult you'll be the first to know ;)