Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Goodbye, Facebook

To anyone who's used to seeing me on Facebook, you may notice that I've suddenly disappeared. I'm one of the people who figures Facebook's new Terms of Service is unacceptable. Here's the guilty paragraph: 


You hereby grant Facebook an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to (a) use, copy, publish, stream, store, retain, publicly perform or display, transmit, scan, reformat, modify, edit, frame, translate, excerpt, adapt, create derivative works and distribute (through multiple tiers), any User Content you (i) Post on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof subject only to your privacy settings or (ii) enable a user to Post, including by offering a Share Link on your website and (b) to use your name, likeness and image for any purpose, including commercial or advertising, each of (a) and (b) on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof.

Nope, I'm not OK with any of that (and here's the full details, plus news stories). 

When I deleted my account, the screen showed the following message: 

Your account has been deactivated from the site and will be permanently deleted within 14 days. If you log into your account within the next 14 days, your account will be reactivated and you will have the option to cancel your request.

I wondered briefly whether I'd miss Facebook. It was nice that a few people I missed had found me using it. But you know, I still show up on LinkedIn, which means that by extension I show up in a Google search. That's good enough. 

1 comment:

moosk said...

Hm... that's a little frightening. I'm going to have to look into it and see if my privacy settings will protect me. If not, I might be saying the same thing. Ick! Fortunately, I get to see you in real life... much better than facebook!