Thursday, February 19, 2009

Facebook: slightly less evil than previously assumed

They switched back to their previous terms of service: http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=54746167130


So I suppose I'll re-enable my account. Facebook is a convenient way to make myself findable. But ... will I ever upload very much info? Photos? Status updates? Comments on other people's messages? 

Probably not. And I'm starting to create backup methods to achieve the "make myself findable" goal. I've got a nicely-linked LinkedIn profile, and a brand-new blog on myname.blogspot.com where I'm planning to post just enough info to make it clear to anyone looking for me that they've found the right person, plus a way to contact me.... It turns out that no one owns myname.com, for crying out loud. Real Soon Now I'll get hold of it myself. 

Because given the economy, I want to be findable. I've already gotten a couple of emails from people asking about job leads, and if it all goes to pieces ("hope for the best, plan for the worst" - no, I'm not worried, just prepared) I might even want to send some of my own. 

Interesting times. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I knew Ted Ulliot read your blog. Coming by for Oscars Sunday?

Heather said...

Ha ha :) It's Oscars already?! Wow, that totally snuck up on me. Not sure - will check with my better half and see if he has plans etc.