Friday, November 30, 2007

How job transitions really work

"Want my job?" My friend B sent me an IM the other evening. He's a Product Manager on my team, but about to move to a new project - he's been trying to figure out who should take his place. Problem is, all the other PMs are slammed.

"I don't want my projects to just get lost," he said.

Pause. Pause. Pause.

"I could pitch a project plan," I pinged back.

"You could totally do it!" he typed. "Transitioning to you would be great! I can throw your hat in the ring metaphorically!"

Big deep breath. I'd planned to think about a job change oh, maybe next April. I don't have the background to easily move to the PM team but try-before-you-buy deals are always a little easier. With decent luck and a push from friends, it might work. I haven't had time to figure out if I actually want to do it, but if I could try it unofficially for a couple of months.....

"OK," I typed. "I'm in!"

So here I am, 48 hours later. I've agreed to devote 30% of my time to something I've never done before & don't know how to do. My boss is on board but has his own agenda - I'm going to have to fight off his priorities in order to get my own in place, all while making sure I can still go home to my own team again in case this other thing doesn't work out because it very easily might not.

In 40 minutes, I'll be leading a meeting of people who know more than I do and who aren't expecting me to take on this role.

1 comment:

Cartooniste said...

wow! so how did it go?