Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Yoga with Guys

No, the photo to the right is NOT me. But the pose really does look this silly.

"It's easier to maintain balance if you use a viewing spot," says this evening's leader, while the rest of us focus on not falling over. I've got all my weight on my left foot, right arm & leg extended behind me, right hand wrapped around ankle, head tilted back.

"You stole my viewing spot!" says the guy two mats away from me. Like everybody else I immediately lose my own viewing spot and go staggering off my mat.

Right before sivasana, an objection: "We haven't done Crazy Yoga Pose of the Day."

Our leader thinks for a moment. "Ok, what about Roaring Lion?"

"Roaring Lion? You are totally making that shit up." General appeal to the rest of the room: "Is he making it up?" The guy next to me rolls his eyes. We all get down on our knees to do Roaring Lion. Roaring Lion consists of crouching on all fours, then suddenly surging forward while rolling your eyes back in your head and growling. I suspect most of the benefit comes from laughing at everyone else's growls.

As usual on Monday nights, I'm the only woman in a yoga class full of guys. I love it. It's all-volunteer: our teacher isn't charging, we're not paying, and the classes are shaped by whatever mood everyone seems to be in.

No comments: