Thursday, March 22, 2007

Travel 2007

Last Sunday I sat at gate 100 at SFO, waiting for the Lufthansa flight that would take me first to Frankfurt, then on to Hyderabad.

Over the loudspeaker I heard an announcement: something about a US-government mandated survey. "Not more idiotic, ineffective security paperwork," I thought, but I finished up the email I was writing, downloaded a few last documents to work on on the plane, packed up my computer and headed up to the check-in desk to get the survey.

The attendant pointed me to a small stack of blank surveys and a drop box to leave mine in when I finished it. I fished a pen out of my shoulder bag and wrote my name on the outside of the survey, thinking how amazing it is that any security agency imagines that voluntary reporting of last, middle, and first name will envelop the world in virtual bubble-wrap.

Then I unfolded the survey to fill out the inside. Airport security is easier to go along with than to bother trying to understand.

Contrary to my expectations, the inside of the survey asked for just 3 pieces of information: whether I wish to designate an emergency contact, and if so, that person's name & phone number. The small print assured me that all completed surveys would be destroyed up on my flight's safe arrival.

I paused. I checked the "yes" box. I filled in my husband's cellphone number, and as an extra precaution, his email address. I dropped the completed survey in the box, stepped back, and waited for my seat row to be called to board the plane.

No comments: