Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Lessons in business travel

I have learned a number of interesting things in the past week (people in India think it is just really damn weird to put hard boiled egg on your salad, for example, and they will look at you funny and ask "really?" in a doubtful voice if you do it - never mind that the salad in question consists solely of soft peanuts in oil, garbanzo beans, and sprouted peas), but the thing I have learned that I will take with me on my next business trip is far simpler: bring your camera cable. Yes, that's right - the one that connects your digital camera to your computer.

Why? Because last weekend I took a photograph of a traffic jam caused entirely by a camel. I had never seen such a thing before, I admit, and so I took the photo with the express purpose of blogging about it. And yet without that oh-so-missed camera cable, getting that photo anywhere near my blog is downright impossible....

That's what I get for this being the first time I've travelled with both a laptop and a digital camera. And here I thought I was packing too much electronic equipment....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When do you return? Let's get you some mesculun greens when you get home. Miss you - safe travels back! *id

Anonymous said...

Monday! And yes, mesclun sounds amazingly tasty right now. Just imagine, I'll get to drink cold milk, and there'll be strawberries, and sourdough bread, and avocadoes...not to mention the perfect CA weather.

I like it here (and it's nice to show up and have a built-in group of people who want to take you out to see the city), but it ain't home.

That said, the Taj Mahal last weekend rocked. See you soon :)

Anonymous said...

right now i'm eating a mesclun sald with avocado, aparagus, strawberries, soy beans, broccoli, carrots, etc with balsmaic dressing right now - AND a piece of sourdough bread, too. seriously! it's not that i'm trying to rub it in, but i happen to be reading your blog during my lunch break! love all the posts of your hilarious indian adventures! *id

Unknown said...

but the mental image of a traffic jam caused by a camel is really worth it...

Taj Mahal. Wow. Roughly same time period as the Salem witch trials. I don't know why that's particuarly weird to me, but it is.

Anonymous said...

Geez, I hadn't made the Salem connection. That is kind of weird.

The Taj Majal itself trips me out: it's heralded as a monument to love, but the woman in question died giving birth to her 14th child. I mean, she and her husband had to have known that women die in childbirth all the time - arguably a better monument would have been stopping at #13....

Kate, you'd be proud, sometime in the last couple of years I turned into a fairly rabid sort of feminist (and travelling to a country where some women wear burkas was a bizarre experience). I'm still not entirely sure what happened.