Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Does 2007 really exist?

On New Year's Eve my guy & I went out to dinner with friends. We gorged ourselves on Italian food, wandered into the currently-being-renovated gorgeous lobby of a downtown hotel (reminds me of one of my favorites in Santa Fe - all tall columns and off-white plaster & big fireplace & red & gold upholstered chairs), commandeered blue and silver balloons in hand, then headed home to drink champagne & devour raspberry tart and pumpkin pie.

"2007 doesn't really seem real," said one of my friends. "I mean, it seems like a year in a movie."

"A futuristic movie," I agreed. My guy & I celebrated the millenium together (though not as a couple - another story). How can seven years have passed? Seven years is the magic number in fairy tales; did I spend the past few years sleeping under a hedge?

"2007 seems like it can't really happen," said my friend. "We should all be driving around in pods. Wait, when are all our birthdays?" We discussed. In 2007 we all turn thirty, and we're all dreaming up grand-hurrah trips to take: Asia, Montana, any place we haven't been and that will be harder to get to "after we have kids" (huh).

Thirty. My guy, feeling like he missed out on his late twenties, is not really ok with that. Neither is P. Irene and I nod - thirty. Sounds ok. What is wrong with this, that the women don't mind getting older but the guys do? I read in the New York Times a year or so ago that thirty is the new twenty (yeah right - but it's funny-sounding so I like it).

New Year's is like hide-and-seek: ready or not, here it comes.


The difficult thing about reporting conversations in blogs is that I never remember who said what, or exactly how. . . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, you! We made it into your blog :) You know, with friends who think alike, does it really matter who said what? Oh, shall we celebrate Chinese New Year together too? It's the year of the GOLDEN Pig - bonus good luck!

Anonymous said...

Of course you did! :) We're definitely up for Chinese New Year! Just let us know when - and why is the pig golden? Is it usually a regular pink pig?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I guess in other years it's just a nasty hog or something but this is an auspicious year, and according to Chinese folklore, the Golden Pig year coems once in every six centuries! So do you think it would be festive or inappropriate to eat pork? Hm, I'll have to ask the relatives! Anyway, save the date: Sat, Feb 17.

Cartooniste said...

maybe thirty is the new twenty five? that sounds more credible. thought twenty was a pretty good year. wouldn't necessarily mind that again.
i, too, find the reality of 2007 as a year more difficult to take than the reality of turning 30. I feel kind of ready for 30. like I might, some time, start knowing what I am doing.