Thursday, December 28, 2006

Want to buy a trashcan?

Yesterday afternoon, I needed to review some documents. So I printed them out, stacked up the 5 trashcans currently occupying all the foot-space under the side area of my desk, and got to work.

This morning, I needed to review some reports. So I printed them out, stacked up the 7 trashcans currently occupying all the footspace under the side area of my desk and spilling out into the floorspace in the middle of my cubicle, and got to work.

Just for reference, I currently occupy a three person cube. That's right, three. And today we've got 7 trashcans, even though yesterday we had 5. My cubemates and I on average throw out .25 trashcans' worth of stuff every day (today we might be up to .32, if you include the bonanza of destroyed doggy chew-toy recently contributed by my boss's black Lab).

Corporate life is sometimes very, very weird.

2 comments:

Cartooniste said...

maybe things get really slow down there under the desk. perhaps all that time just spent staring at each other causes the trash cans to finally recognize the kernel of beauty and humanity that they so often keep hidden under their staid corporate personae, perhaps those carapaces have slipped aside for a split second, just a brief moment into which can rush that heady feeling... love.

(grad school is making me weirder)

Anonymous said...

Wow, have you been reading too many undergrad essays or what?!

The blue recycling bin had never really noticed the black lunch-trash bin before. Suddenly, with the addition of a new Honest T glass bottle, the recycling bin's perception seemed clearer and colors brighter. The recycling bin sidled up to the black lunch-trash bin. "So. . ." the recycling bin said. "Come here often?"