Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Victory lap

"What's on the agenda?" asked our tech lead. I paused, waiting for someone else to speak. It wasn't my meeting, and I'd only attended three times. They must have agenda items already.

Our tech lead looked at me. "I'd like to look at our list of projects and assign owners," I said.

"Great," said our tech lead. So we did. One person even volunteered. The meeting ran overtime because we started talking about exactly how to implement changes, and what kind of data we need to get back from the experiments we're running.

Toward the end of the meeting, I asked whether we needed to meet once a week or once every two weeks. "Once a week should be fine," said our project manager.

"You know who the individual engineers are," said our tech lead, "so you can talk individually about the specific projects."

"Sounds good," I said. "I'm sorry I sit so far away." It's a side-effect of my unofficial role: my office is with my current team, rather than with the team I'm aiming to join.

"We have some visitor desks," said the engineer who'd volunteered for my pet project. "You know, where the UI designer sits." I walked back with them, so they could show me where the visitor desks are.

"If you don't mind working on your laptop...." said the tech lead. A couple of the other engineers nodded.

"Sure," I said. "I can spend some time here."

Maybe it's going to work out after all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm applauding!
Loyal Reader

Cartooniste said...

Whoop whoop!

When will you know for sure?

Anonymous said...

No idea, unfortunately. I'm currently working on plans for features to be maybe built in April; could be before or after I get traction on that....Ugh. The suspense is nasty but ideally not more than another 3 months - I hope.