Monday, May 07, 2007

Mangoes and nukes

A while back my guy and I both heard the exact same story on NPR: some political interview (or maybe a discussion with an author?) mentioned, as a side note, that there are around 1000 varieties of Indian mangoes - and due to US-imposed trade restrictions, none of them are available in the US. The interviewee was from India, and hoped, rather wistfully, that maybe the trade restrictions would be lifted as part of a new nuclear treaty (?!) currently in discussion.

My guy and I both came home absolutely incensed, bursting in our front door to tell each other - did you hear?! There's an import restriction on mangoes! There are types of mangoes in the world that we have never even heard of! What is the US government thinking?! (Not to mention the whole nuclear tie-in. What the ...?!)

I nearly wrote to my Senator.

And now, I am happy to report that NPR has once again informed me (as a side note to another story) about the State of Mango Trade with India: relations have improved! Indian mangoes are now allowed into the US! After searching Google News I found several Indian papers covering the story (like this one), but the US press seems so far oblivious.

That is so sad. I mean, come on - cover some happy news for once (bloggers, however, are all over the story).

Oh well. I'm left with one question: where is this first shipment of mangoes going, and how can I find it? Is it, by any chance, heading for California? We have a large Indian population in the Bay Area.... I doubt my Senator is the right contact for this, but I have every intention of suggesting Indian mangoes to Whole Foods.

No comments: