Thursday, February 15, 2007

Four years

It recently occurred to me that if work were college, I'd be a second-semester senior. So I started analyzing my every waking moment to determine whether I felt those same stable-but-about-to-launch emotions I remember from college: a sense of wrap-up, of finally knowing what's going on, of being "older" than the other kids, of wondering what's next. And of course, flashes of manic activity followed by pure, motionless relaxation.

Yup. Check, check, check, and check.

No, this doesn't mean I'm thinking about leaving my job. It's not all bad to be getting pretty damn senior at the recently-labelled #1 place to work in the US. By now I more or less know what I do. I could, if pressed, even provide a job description ("internal consultant"). And it's even better to look forward to still more control over my own projects, complete with team members to delegate to and collaborate with - not to mention the nearly-mythical 5 weeks of vacation I've got coming up in just another year and a half.

But it does mean I'm keeping an eye out for whatever shift in my work-life may come my way. I plan to check back in with myself in July - and in the meantime, enjoy the calm I'm hoping for this spring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey -
So I finally put your blog on rss feed so I can try to keep up. You say you've got a version of the senior-itis at your big-time corporate job? I think that's funny. Oh yeah, and guess who's moving back to CA to put themselves many thousands of dollars in debt, erm, I mean to get a master's degree? Drop me a line, k?