Friday, February 02, 2007

Fashion bubble

Sometimes I wonder just how much of a bubble I live in. For example, are the fashion trends I notice worldwide trends? California trends? Silicon Valley trends? Or ... just-my-department trends? For example: high heels + socks. See Exhibit A, to the right.

These are nice socks, mind you - not too thick, and interestingly patterned. They more or less match both my shoes and my pants. And note the distinguishing characteristics of the shoes themselves: they've got the requisite rounded toes and kind of look like flats - but aren't.

This may be a bubble (OK, I'm sure it's a bubble), but I like it. I wore this lovely ensemble quite recently, in fact. I'd like to think it's very January 2007, but I suspect that somebody here just got fed up with cold feet on her daily treks from one building to another and thought, "dammit, I'm wearing socks!" This is a very practical trend - and this company has 20+ far-apart buildings with almost no parking, so a whole lot of people do a whole lot of walking.

So ... any takers out there? Who wants to spread it to NY? Is it already there? Or did I just drag my inner geek-ness, protesting, a little further into the light?

3 comments:

Cartooniste said...

oh, i am totally on this. i have some teacher-type shoes, like mary jane slash saddle shoes, that are brown, and have those same low funky heels, and i wear them with wooly socks too. because it's massachusetts, sometimes wooly socks with sparkly sock liners underneath, but nobody can see those.
so yes, it's officially the Look of january 2007. it's on.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I really, really thought it was just my building. I can't believe it.

Clearly I just now need sparkly sock liners. Tho it's CA, so I bet I could just wear them as socks...disco socks!

Cartooniste said...

i miss you HF. last night we were watching "swingers" and L said "I kind of want to move to los angeles."
sigh. @#$@#$ east coast.