Monday, October 16, 2006

Oooooh . . . nifty

I love maps. The idea that one person can represent space on paper and as a result, share info about that space with someone who's never been there is, I think, one of the neatest of all time. During my crazy roadtrip days, I read maps the way I read novels: to see what else was out there, to get ideas for what might be next, and to pass the time (if you don't think you can read a map to pass the time, either you don't have a good enough map or you're not reading carefully enough! A good map should point out random things like fake Dutch windmills build purely to attract tourists driving through Minnesota. Really.).

So I think Mapbuilder is one of the neatest websites out there. Not only do you get to look at maps, you get to write on them!!! Wow. Cool. I haven't tried it yet, so I can't report on ease of use and so on, but soon I will. Soon!

2 comments:

Darienne said...

It's good to know I'm not the only one who can consult a map to check one tiny thing, and then spend a ridiculous amount of time exploring everything else in the vicinity...

Cartooniste said...

have you looked at my friend bill's site? it's called "radical cartography," and it's linked on my blog. you will go nuts.