Friday, June 09, 2006

Morning

It is 8:20 am. I have a melon smoothie and a dried cherry scone. I'm sitting outside at a picnic table.

The only downside is that I'm at work. Over the past week I've reached that lovely point in exhaustion when you work not because you have a deadline or have a great idea on a project, but because it's become the default activity - it's what you do because you're awake. I recognize that this is not ideal, but this week I'm doing it anyway. Right now I'm clocking 11-13 hours at work every single day - and I'm not expecting today to be different, even if it is Friday.

On the upside, I'm stubbornly holding out on work-free weekends.

So what's next? When does this change? When does work become routine, rather than an ongoing challenge?

Admittedly, I'm not very enthusiastic about most things that are routine (brushing my teeth comes to mind), so perhaps I should be careful what I ask for.

What I ask for at the moment is sleep - and to wake up without thinking, "oh yeah, what I should do about that policy is. . . ."

No comments: