Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Social graces

In Peets this afternoon:

Me (taking out computer powerplug out of bag and looking down at electrical outlet, which is full): Um....
Guy at next table: Oh, do you need one of those?
Me: Yeah, I’m about out of power.
Guy: Ok, can you wait like five minutes? I’m almost done.
Me (thinking: WTF? You’re one guy using two plugs! And you ask me to wait?!): Oh, are those both yours?
Guy, tone very annoyed: Yeah, are you like totally out of power?
Me (relieved I won’t actually have to point out that one person using two outlets and then refusing to share is ridiculous): Yeah, I have about thirty seconds before this dies.
Guy, after a pause where we stare awkwardly at one another: Okay, you can unplug the computer. The lower one.
Me, unplugging: Thanks.

And we return in silence to our screens.

And I think to myself:

WHO DOES THAT?! Really?! You use up both available electrical outlets and then act like you’re doing someone else a big favor by giving one up a little earlier than you want to?! Really?! That is SO RUDE! And it just totally violates the unspoken ethical code (“share stuff”) of People Who Take Laptops to Cafes!!!

And okay, fine, taking a laptop to a cafe may be a little pretentious, but I’m testing the theory that I’ll get more done on the Crazy Project if I don’t go straight home first so I have a Worthy Goal and anyway at least I’m not charging my *!/$% phone at the same time!!!

I mean, come on. You’ve been here for at least twenty minutes so you’ve had time to get your battery partly refilled.

SO RUDE!!!

Of course, I didn’t actually say any of that....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I walked by the local Plume's this morning, and stopped to read the sign on the door, curious as to whether this business too was closing.
No, not closing, but a several sentence plea for remembering that this is a place to get something to eat and/or drink, and not just a place to sit forever with your computer.
I guess we're in the process of figuring out what Emily Post would advise us about coffee shop etiquette.
It made me feel uber virtuous that when I play Scrabble at Border's, I always treat myself to something from the coffee counter. . .
Monterey Fan