Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Back to school

Last week, on a whim, I signed up for a class on Tolstoy's War & Peace. Last night I showed up at Stanford, 10 minutes late, having missed the first class, and behind on the reading. 


Sounds like college, right? But the feeling's totally different: there's no negative or positive externality that can result from anything about my involvement in this class. If I never show up again, the only impact is that I don't hear the lectures. If I show up every time, do all the reading, and learn the history, the only reward is that I did it. 

I'm not sure if this is more weird or more cool. 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Recently I enjoyed reading this blog's comments lauding what the writer sees as Tolstoy's incredible skill with his language. You might find it interesting to see the specifics of what someone who can read it in the original has to say.
http://www.languagehat.com/mt/mt-search.cgi?IncludeBlogs=3&search=tolstoy
Monterey Fan
P.S.Google Translator translates "Ja wohl" as "Yep." Hmm. I dunno.