Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Gadget love

"I'm going for a walk," I said to C. It was Sunday afternoon, nice weather; our original plans to termite-prep the house had stalled out when the property rental place failed to tell us when the termite-tenting would actually occur.

"Where to?" he asked. Sunday afternoon: there's doubtless some kind of sports on TV, but then, it's a nice day....

"Maybe the Apple store," I said. This of the danger of living in downtown Palo Alto: the ever-seductive Apple store, so shiny, so silver, so ... tempting.

"Hmm," said C. "Think I'll pass."

So I went for a walk. I felt the warm sun on my shoulders; I admired the newly-budding cherry & plum trees that give the neighborhood a sudden, unexpected grace in spring. I watched some bikes speed past, since this was the first day of some kind of major bike race I'd never previously heard of. I bought lemonade from a hopeful kid selling it in front of his mom's store.

And then I got to the Apple store.

I've been eyeing the MacBook Air (3/4" thick! silver! not Windows, so it won't "feel" like work!) since it was launched. I've been telling myself firmly that I'll wait till it hits V2 before I buy one - who wants to be a beta tester for $1800?

But then I saw it. It was sleek and lovely and the rounded edge fit nicely in my hand. It was light enough that I could imagine myself carrying it around in a backpack while I was travelling. I hesitated for maybe 3 minutes before letting my credit card leap eagerly out of my wallet.

I took my new gadget home, installed a bunch of writing software on it, and started playing. And I love it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurray for the computer!
Hmm. I think the bike race you saw was an early leg of the Amgen Tour, modeled after the Tour de France, that has had electronic signage on Del Monte for the past week: find other routes than Del Monte on Feb 21. It started in Palo Alto; somehow involved Sacramento and Modesto, and will wind up in Pasadena. Stage 4 is Seaside to San Luis Obispo, with festivities at Seaside City Hall. I have an errand in Monterey tomorrow; will cross Del Monte but take Fremont.
Constant Reader

moosk said...

mm... apple... the macbook air is pretty darn beautiful. maybe we can ichat one of these days... so much more fun that phone calls, and i can enjoy the splendor of your california spring from my frigid ny abode.

Cartooniste said...

oh, dear. please don't tell L. between that and the spectacle of a friend's new iphone, our mutual acquaintance is in apple-love.

dangerous times.

Anonymous said...

moosk, I'd love to i-chat! I'll ping you when I get a wireless connection set up at home (right now I'm offline only at home).

Sorry, Cartooniste - I totally am in apple-love. I installed 3 pieces of software in under 10 minutes, and the thing can turn itself off in under 30 seconds. I have never achieved that with Windows. Never! And I haven't even started on how cool the software itself is....