Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Work = kindergarten?

This afternoon, I left work and went to the toy store. I bought 4 Transformers die-cast action figures (two of Optimus Prime, in order to reduce the likelihood of arguments).

Later today, I will hand out said action figures as prizes (along with cash, admittedly) to team members who have successfully launched certain types of projects. There's some chance that in future I will also hand out stickers. And perhaps one of those blow-up punching bags, again Transformer-themed. I have checked this plan with several people whose opinion I respect, and they all agree it's a great idea.

I work with grown-ups, really I do! Really. Um ... yeah. I do. I think.

Then again, I always say I'm not the person to do the warm fuzzy stuff. You want to know what metrics we should reward? I'm your gal. You want to know what the actual reward should look like, what it is that will make people feel good? Nope, not my area. So wish me luck - I'm either about to crash & burn, or launch something successful, or maybe just feel mildly silly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Voters get stickers. As do people who buy Chiquita bananas.
A blogger I was reading (yes, a grownup--mom,wife, and music teacher) knows she needs more sleep, and planned to motivate herself by awarding herself stickers for earlier bedtimes.
Blood donors get carrot cake and a choice of color for their armband, plus t shirts and tote bags.
Longterm Aquarium members recently got free guest tickets.
Transformers sound good. (But maybe they should ALL be the same kind?)
Loyal Reader

Cartooniste said...

So the question is, how did they go over?
If little rewards didn't work, I would never buy anything from Clinique. Instead, I now have a lifetime supply of eye makeup remover (perfect for me, as you know) and four or five zippered makeup bags.
Perfect.
I bet they went down like gangbusters.

Anonymous said...

Update: the awards went over big. Really big!

Thereby proving that no one ever outgrows toys. Next up: handing out stickers to coworkers who schedule meetings at convenient times....