Sunday, August 19, 2007

Odd

It's Sunday afternoon, and up till writing this post I have spent the entire day in the backyard. I have eaten breakfast, read a book, and written a letter to my Great Aunt Lee.

In the apartment building next door, there is a baby who amuses itself by crying in an "I want to talk but I can't yet and this is the next best thing so here I go WWAAAAAHHHA WWAAAHHHH!!!" kind of way. And this afternoon I noticed: on a sunny day and at a distance, a baby crying is a strangely peaceful, happy sound. It's right up there with the buzz of a fat tumbling bumblebee and the helicopter beat of a hummingbird's wings. Odd, isn't it: a sound I normally associate with distress (or at least angst) can add to a day's contentment.

2 comments:

Darienne said...

Hey, you wanna come over and babysit? We have lots of peaceful, happy sounds here...

Anonymous said...

Ha ha - I knew that would get a comment! Somehow I think the distance factor is a key contributor in the 'peaceful, happy' part of it all.... you get to smugly think, 'not MY problem!' after all. Grin. Not that your potential babysit-ees aren't way above average, of course!