Monday, June 04, 2007

What I'm reading

Every so often the topic of books comes up - and someone asks, "so what do you read?"

I pause. I rack my brain frantically for whatever it is I'm reading right now. Then I realize that - wait - no - I can't say that - what I'm reading right now doesn't accurately represent what I really read!

And no matter what I'm reading, that is always the case.

For example, right now I'm reading Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon; a collection of essays about Canadian summer vacation cottages; an Elizabeth Hardwick lit-crit collection; and a crime-caper novel by Donald Westlake. If there's an obvious common thread, I at least don't see it.

And so I'm experimenting: over on the sidebar of this blog is a new list called "What I'm reading." I've tagged some books I'm reading (and have read) in my De.licio.us account; they auto-post here.

And maybe one day, as the list grows, it might actually become representative.

No comments: