Thursday, September 07, 2006

The Ironic Doppelganger

A couple of weeks back, my guy & I drove out to Half Moon Bay to go to the beach. On our way through town, we spotted a new bookstore, so we wandered in. While browsing for anything new by Michael Faber (I can't decide if The Crimson Petal & the White is a great book, a decadent guilty pleasure, or just a fun ride), I ran across this book.

Note the author's name.

Note that the author lives in the Bay Area, has hair about the color mine gets when I spend a lot of time in the sun, seems to be about my height, and appears to weigh about what I do.

Note that I didn't write this book.

What the . . . ??!!?

When I first picked it up, my stomach turned over. I think my fingers shook a little bit. I looked over my shoulder to see who - or what - was watching me. All those sci-fi & fantasy books I read as a kid, not to mention the time one of my friends asked why I'd been in San Francisco one weekend and not waved back at her but I hadn't actually been there, came bubbling up from the unused, not-looked-at-too-often recesses of my mind.

I have to admit this feels damn weird.

I'm also pondering a new question: when I send my current story out to magazines in October, what name do I send it under?

It's going to be pretty funny if I wind up taking my guy's last name after all - and do it to maintain my own separate identity, rather than to establish new credentials as part of a couple. Just when I was getting comfy with the dictates of feminism. . . .

1 comment:

Unknown said...

FREAKY!

Now, just about everyone has my name. Including my mother for one, some girl two years ahead of us at Columbia who even lived in Ruggles the year before we did (I got her mail), and some random woman who died in Marblehead in 1905 (thanks, Google).

But *your* name.....? How many people in North America share your last name? Fifteen? Twenty?

As for the publishing question, you could either just go for it with your regular name, hoping she doesn't read the same journals that you do, or you could incorporate some variation on your middle name.

I just hope you don't run into her on the street one day. Wouldn't time then stop?