Friday, September 10, 2004

Moving to the city

Something we've been talking about for a long, long time. This is just a list of resources.

The basics: housing. Links to local real estate companies (probably a better technical term for that somewhere, but I don't know it) include Bpm.com, Murphy Apartments, and

The basics: decor. I love Illico Design, which very conveniently just opened a store in Santana Row. I also love The Apartment. Actually, I don't love what they sell - I love the interiors they show under 'Interiors'. Gorgeous. Inspiration to go and repaint a wall or build myself a desk. El Paso Import Company is great for classic Southwestern type stuff, which one can inappropriately mix with Eames' work if desired. Eames was a modern architectural pioneer - which means that I think he's a mixed grab-bag. Some cool stuff, some uncomfy stuff, some good ideas, and some good ideas that could use updating. Unrelated: I recently bought a slate fountain as a present; these are really gorgeous.

The basics: utilities. A bunch of people have recommended Sonic as a DSL provider. And TheBlueBook.com is recommended as a source for all kinds of building contractors.

No comments: